Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ozone Cam

Sorry for the long delay between posts. We all have been busy getting instruments set up. Many things have happened over the last 5 days. The Summit crew has installed their first Wind Turbine, so for the past 2 days, some of our electricity has been generated by the wind. We will do a special blog on this later in the week. Other news is that 14 new scientists, staff, and technicians arrived yesterday and now the total population of Summit Camp is 49 people. Another C-130 arrives tomorrow, and we will be back down to 35 people. As far as the science goes, lots of good news to report. A new power supply arrived on the flight yesterday (Tuesday) and so the Snow Profiling Spectroradiometer (a.k.a. SnowBird) is now collecting data. Also, the GaTech Crew (Dave Tanner, Bonnie, and Justin) fixed the ozone monitor and has 2 or 3 days of OH and HO2 data. Katrine (UC-Irvine) has started her whole air sampling. Every 4 hours she fills a stainless steel can with ambient air. She gets help from Justin for the 0300 and 0700 samples. Katine will post more on this later.

The photo above is a picture of Greenland from 30,000 ft taken on 02 May 2007. Andy Clark is the scientist in charge of the ozonesonde balloon measurements up here and he attached a digital camera to his ozone instrument. And every 30 seconds the camera took a picture. The balloon and attached instruments rose to 32,000 ft until the balloon burst and then the parchute gently floated back down to the ice sheet about 20 km from Summit. Andy lost the on-board GPS signal when the parchute was about 9 km above the snow. Knowing the windspeed, wind direction, and descent rate, Andy calculated when it may have fallen. It took him two attempts, but on Sunday Andy found the ozonesonde and the ozone cam within 2 km of where he calculated it to be.

Below are more photos from this balloon flight:

This photos shows tent city in the lower left, and the track of the C-130 that was having trouble taking off.

No comments: